Como Community Guide and Business Directory


Como is a suburb in southern Sydney, located 27 km south of the Sydney central business district in the local government area of the Sutherland Shire. The postcode is 2226, which it shares with neighbouring Jannali and Bonnet Bay. Como West is a locality in the suburb.

Located on the southern banks of the Georges River, Como is also bounded to the west by the Woronora River. The shoreline features† Bonnet Bay, Scylla Bay and Carina Bay.

Como West is a locality in the southern Sydney, located in the western part of Como. The postcode is 2226, the same as Como.

Como West is located on the north eastern bank of the Woronora River. It features its own primary school and sports field.

Sport and Recreation

Como is home to the successful St. George Rowing Club. Many top rowers begin their sculling career here. Como is also home to many parks, including Scylla Bay Oval and the Como Pleasure Grounds.


Como railway station is on the Illawarra line of the City Rail network. Como is the first station after crossing the Georges river from Oatley† in the St George area. Como Bridge is a railway and footbridge that crosses the Georges river here. The original railway bridge is now used by pedestrians and cyclists.

Education (See Detailed List of Schools in The Shire)

Como features two public schools: Como Public School and Como West Public School.


Como features a small shopping area with a motor repair shop, wine cellar, a Chinese restaurant, a veterinarian, chemist and a corner shop. This locality is also referred to as the Como West














Como is most notable for the old Como Hotel, a historic hotel which was extensively rebuilt after a large fire in November 1996. It is easy††† to watch the local rugby league football from the balconies of this hotel. Other landmark buildings the suburb include the Como School of Arts, Cafe de Como and the Como Marina on the Georges River.


Como takes its name from Lake Como, at the foot of the Bernese Alps in Italy. The Italian influence is also reflected in some of the street names such as Genoa, Verona and Cremona.

James Murphy owned land in this area and is thought to have named Como. He managed the affairs of Thomas Holt (1711-88), who owned most of the land that stretched from Sutherland to Cronulla. Murphy built Como House which burnt down in 1969 and developed the Como Pleasure Grounds, commonly known by locals today as 'The Point'. After Murphy died, his estate provided scholarships for young men in agricultural science at St Johnís College Sydney and the Hawkesbury Agricultural College.

When the railway line was being built, the whole area was originally known as Woronora and the first school opened in 1881. The Como railway station opened in December 1885 and Como became a popular weekend resort. The natural beauty made it popular with holiday makers and honeymooners. The post office opened on 16th May 1883. In 1972, a new railway bridge was opened to remove the single†††† track bottleneck that reduced service numbers on the busy line. A new railway station was also built a kilometre further south. The original†† railway bridge has since been converted into a pedestrian bridge for walkers and bike riders to cross the Georges River.

Como was severely affected by bushfires in 1994, with upwards of 70 houses burnt down. Como West Public School was also damaged by the fires and a new school was built on the original land.

Welcome to Como
Ready Flowers

List of our Subsidiary Domain Names

Top 10

Thai Cooking



1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Italian Cooking



Enjoy >>>

Lebanese Cooking Recipes


Enjoy >>>


Como Child Care Centres


Web >>>


Sutherland Shire Business Directory


Web >>>

Sutherland Shire DirectoryDIRECTORY 4U
3 Mobile Broadband