Kirrawee Community Guide and Business Directory

Welcome to Kirrawee

Location

Kirrawee is a suburb in southern Sydney, located 25 km south of the Sydney central business district in the Sutherland Shire. Kirrawee lies between Sutherland, to the west and Gymea, to the east. Kirrawee's southern border is formed by The Royal National Park, while   Kareela and Jannali form the northern border.

Transport

Kirrawee train station straddles the Cronulla branch of City Rail’s Illawarra Line which links Sydney’s Southern Suburbs to the CBD. Kirrawee is approximately 40 minutes by train to the CBD. Kirrawee is one of the last remaining single platform stations in Sydney. Duplication of the train line from Sutherland to Cronulla commenced in May 2006, with work to be completed by the end of 2008.             See Government Website.

Kirrawee has limited bus services operated by Veolia NSW, most of which run down President Avenue, and does not connect the suburb  very well.

Churches

St. Mary, St. Bakhomious and St. Shenouda Coptic Orthodox Church,

located in Bath Road, was consecrated in 1996.

 

Schools (See Detailed List of Schools in The Shire)

Education facilities within Kirrawee include Kirrawee High School and Kirrawee Public School, along with a number of Pre-Schools and Child Care centres.

Commercial

Kirrawee has a very distinct split between commercial and residential areas within the suburb. Approximately 90% of the area to the north  of the train line is occupied by commercial and industrial properties while almost 100% of the area south of the train line is residential. South Kirrawee, which extends from the train line in the north to the Royal National Park in the south, is considered more desirable as many houses are on quiet roads with beautiful bush outlooks. North Kirrawee is predominantly a commercial/industrial zone comprising of small to medium factories housing local businesses. North Kirrawee is also home to a number of petrol stations, car dealerships and a fast food outlet.

Kirrawee has a small shopping village on Oak Road, adjacent to the train station. It consists of a number of food outlets, newsagent, law firm, accountant, fruit shop and bike shop, among others. The train station and shopping village are located in the geographical centre of the suburb and are serviced by a 150 space car park. A number of painted murals located around the shopping village and train station are an interesting feature in the suburb.

Kirrawee Brickpit

Kirrawee's famous disused "Brickpit" is a 4.5ha site just north of the main shopping village. Currently the deep brick pit covers approximately 50 - 60% of the total site and is half filled with water, making a natural lagoon. The remainder of the site is covered with overgrown trees and plants. The entire site is enclosed by a cyclone fence.

This site has been the subject of much controversy over recent years. In 2001, a 20 month program commenced to consult with the community about the future use of the site. This project was a joint initiative between the local council, the Department of infrastructure, Planning and Natural Resources (DIPNR), Sydney Water - the owner of the site, and the local community. The Local Environment Plan (LEP) produced a master plan for the Kirrawee shopping village and brick pit which involved rezoning the site to a mix of commercial, residential and 20% open public space.

In April 2005, after the election of a new councillor, 45 amendments were passed with regards to the LEP. These amendments changed       the zoning to make the Princes Highway frontage commercial and the remainder "special uses". It was specifically noted that educational establishments are a permissible use in both zones. The Brick Pit has sold, to buyers unknown.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

History

Kirrawee is an Aboriginal word meaning 'lengthy'. The name was adopted in 1939 with the opening of the railway line. A postal receiving office in the locality was known as 'Bladesville'. It operated from the home of Mrs Louisa Blade, was opened in 1909 and closed in 1915 when a letter delivery service commenced from the post office at Sutherland.

Kirrawee, and all of southern Sydney, was inhabited by the Dharawal people for up to 8,000 years prior to European settlement.

Early development was connected to the development of nearby Sutherland. It was not until the 1950s that Kirrawee became heavily settled with many families looking to resettle after World War II. Street names in Kirrawee commemorate famous Australians: Bligh and Putland, were named after the rum rebellion Governor Bligh and his daughter Mrs Putland; Meehan after an early surveyor; Johnston after a first    fleet lieutenant; Kemp after a captain in charge of government stores; Gilmore after poet Dame Mary Gilmore.

Budget Rent a Car

Direct Flights

List of our Subsidiary Domain Names

Top 10

Thai Cooking

Recipes

 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Italian Cooking

Recipes

 

Enjoy >>>

Lebanese Cooking Recipes

 

Enjoy >>>

 

Kirrawee Child Care Centres

                                                                       

Web >>>

 

Sutherland Shire Business Directory

 

Web >>>

Sutherland Shire DirectoryDIRECTORY 4U
3 Mobile Broadband