Sutherland Community Guide and Business Directory

Welcome to Sutherland


Sutherland is a suburb in southern Sydney, located 26 km south of the Sydney central business district and is the administrative centre for  the local government area of the Sutherland Shire. The postcode is 2232.


Sutherland station is a junction on the Illawarra line of the City Rail network. The main line runs south to Waterfall and Wollongong and a branch line runs east to Cronulla.

Veolia NSW has a bus interchange at Sutherland, on both sides of Sutherland station. Services on the eastern side of the station connect Westfield Miranda, Gymea, Kirrawee and Grays Point. Services on the western side connect Loftus, Engadine, Heathcote, Menai, Illawong, Padstow, Bankstown and Woronora.

When the Southern Freeway (also known as the F6) was built linking Sydney to Wollongong, the Princes Highway was diverted away from the centre of Sutherland using Acacia Road. An F6 extension has been proposed for many years, which would link Sutherland to the Captain Cook Bridge  via Miranda and onto the Southern Cross Drive via Brighton-Le-Sands.


Sutherland is a mostly a residential area. The shopping centre is located close to Sutherland station. Some commercial developments are    also located on the Princes Highway. As the administrative centre of the Sutherland Shire, Sutherland hosts facilities such as a general purpose entertainment centre where citizenship ceremonies take place, a community centre, local government council offices and a major central library. Woronora Cemetery sits on the western border of the suburb.















St Patrick’s Catholic Church,, St John the Baptist Anglican Church, St Andrews Presbyterian Church, sutherland Uniting Church, Sutherland Christadelphian Church and Shire Live (Pentacostal).

Schools (See Detailed List of Schools in The Shire)

Sutherland Public School, Sutherland North Public School, Minerva School, St Patricks College.


Prince Edward Park, Sutherland Park, Waratah Park, Peace Park, Forby Sutherland Memorial Garden, Sutherland Community Gardens, Clio Street Reserve, Glencoe Street Reserve, Gray Street Reserve, Leonay Street Reserve.

Sport and Recreation

Sutherland Leisure Centre located on Rawson Avenue features a 50-metre heated outdoor pool, an international size water polo pool and a multi-functional family fun and recreation area incorporating both a 50-metre and 25-metre indoor pool, spa and steam room. The  gymnasium offers fitness equipment, fitness classes, boxing / fitness circuit, martial arts room and beach volley ball court.












There are two theories for the origin of the Sutherland name:

It is suggested that the name was taken from able seaman Forby Sutherland, who died on Captain Cook’s Endeavour voyage.   Sutherland Point at Kurnell is named after him, but there's no direct connection of him to the Sutherland Shire district.

Thomas Mitchell as surveyor general in 1835 named the first parish south of the Georges River as the "Parish of southernland" (South with  an "o"). But it appeared in the government gazette spelt Sutherland, losing the significance of the name.

Thomas Holt (1811-88) purchased 13,000 acres (53 km˛) in the 1860s that stretched from Sutherland to Cronulla. The Sutherland area was originally heavily timbered and timber-cutting became the first industry. Holt initiated many commercial projects including timber cutting, coal mining, sheep farming and oyster farming. He built a forty room mansion called Sutherland House in 1881 at Sylvania, on the bank of Gwawley Bay. The mansion was destroyed by fire in 1918, thought to have been deliberately lit.

The first road through the area was South Road constructed in 1842. Later Illawarra Road was built along the ridges of high land to the Woronora River. The Princes Highway became the main thoroughfare through Sutherland, linking Sydney to the Illawarra region.

The railway line was constructed in the 1880s and development followed. Residents lived in humpies or tents in the bush. Once the land was cleared, a township developed around the railway station. In 1886 there were only four permanent buildings: the railway station, the station master's residence, the railway keeper's cottage and a general store run by a man called Bromley. The post office opened on the 1st  September 1886 and a school began classes in 1887.

In 1906, the shire of Sutherland was proclaimed and the name Sutherland was officially declared. The first meetings were held in the shire clerk's home and the Council Chambers were built in 1915. By the 1920s, steam trams operated between Cronulla and Sutherland.

TRAMWAY MUSEUM SYDNEY, Corner Pitt Street, & Princes Highway, Loftus, Ph. 9542 3646

Direct Flights

List of our Subsidiary Domain Names

Top 10

Thai Cooking



1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Italian Cooking



Enjoy >>>

Lebanese Cooking Recipes


Enjoy >>>


Sutherland Child Care Centres


Web >>>


Sutherland Shire Business Directory


Web >>>

Sutherland Shire DirectoryDIRECTORY 4U
3 Mobile Broadband