Sylvania Community Guide and Business Directory

Welcome to Sylvania

Location

Sylvania is a suburb, in southern Sydney, located 22km south of the Sydney central business district in the Sutherland Shire. The postcode is 2224.

Sylvania is located on Horse Rock Point, where the Tom Ugly’s Bridge crosses north over the Georges River to Blakehurst, in the St George area.

Sylvania is mostly residential but also contains some commercial developments on the Princes Highway and Port Hacking Road. Sylvania Heights is a locality in the western part of the suburb. Sylvania Waters is a separate suburb, to the east.

Schools (See Detailed List of Schools in The Shire)

Sylvania Public School, Sylvania Heights Public School, Sylvania High School.

Churches

St Johns Anglican Church, Our Lady of the Way Catholic Church, Sylvania Uniting Church.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Commercial

Southgate Shopping Centre is located on the corner of the Princes Highway and Port Hacking Road. It contains two supermarkets Coles and Woolworths, a Big W discount department store, many specialty shops, a bowling alley, a gymnasium, fast food restaurants and a pub. A small group of shops and restaurants is located on Princes Highway near the foot of Tom Ugly’s Bridge. Another group of shops is located further west along the Princes Highway at Sylvania Heights, which includes Sylvania Heights Plaza.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

History

The naming of the suburb is unclear, but ‘sylvan’ which means inhabiting the woods, relates to the setting of this suburb. The existence of a Sylvan Street, off Princes Highway, seems to confirm this. Thomas Holt (1811-88) owned the land that stretched from Sutherland to Cronulla. This also explains the Sylvanian Street, Holt Rd, which runs off the Princes Hwy near the Sylvania Heights shops and extends as far as Jannali. Holt had built Sutherland House on the foreshore of Gwawley Bay in 1818, on the eastern side of Sylvania. He established the Sutherland Estate Company in 1881 and a village grew here, with a post office opening in 1883. The school opened in 1884 but closed in 1891 and was not reopened until 1925. Sylvania Heights Public School opened in 1955.

Much of the land of Sylvania Waters was reclaimed from Gwawley Bay. Sylvania Waters Estate was developed by L.J.Hooker in the 1960s and land offered had water frontages with boating facilities. Streets were named after Australian rivers to emphasise the association with water, such as Shoalhaven, Tweed, Murrumbidgee, Hawkesbury and Barwon.

Before the subdivision much of the area was farmed. An original farm house still stands today in Chester Street, where the land was used for raising pigs.

FreemanX - AUS
3 Mobile Broadband

List of our Subsidiary Domain Names

Top 10

Thai Cooking

Recipes

 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Italian Cooking

Recipes

 

Enjoy >>>

Lebanese Cooking Recipes

 

Enjoy >>>

 

Sylvania Child Care Centres

                                                                       

Web >>>

 

Sutherland Shire Business Directory

 

Web >>>

Sutherland Shire DirectoryDIRECTORY 4U