Sylvania Waters Community Guide and Business Directory

Welcome to Sylvania Waters

Location

Sylvania Waters is a suburb  in southern Sydney, located 21 km south of the Sydney central business district in the local government area   of Sutherland Shire. The postcode is 2224.

Geography

Sylvania Waters surrounds Gwawley Bay on the southern side of the Georges River. Sylvania is a separate suburb to the west, and Sylvania Heights is a locality within that suburb. Much of the waterfront areas of Sylvania Waters were reclaimed from Gwawley Bay. Many streets and houses are built on artificial islands. The main road in Sylvania Waters, Belgrave Esplanade, essentially stretches from Tom Ugly’s Bridge to Captain Cook Bridge; two of the three main northern entry points for the Sutherland Shire across the Georges River.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Commercial

Sylvania Waters is mostly residential with three small shopping strips located on Belgrave Esplanade. Sylvania Shopping Village is located near Box Road, Sylvania shopping Centre is near Murrumbidgee Avenue and the Richmond Centre is near Richmond Avenue. Doltone House is a function centre close to Sylvania Shopping Village. Sylvania Waters has the highest median sale price for houses in the Sutherland Shire Area.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Culture

Sylvania Waters is home to the Sylvania Waters Athletics Track, a state-of-the-art facility, where many local and state events are held. Next to this is the Sylvania Waters Tennis Court Complex and the home ground of the Southern Districts Rugby Club.

Most recently, one of the artificial islands in Sylvania Waters (James Cook Island) was used in the filming of the movie Superman Returns (2006) as the location of Lois Lane's house.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

History

The naming of Sylvania is unclear, but ‘sylvan’ which means inhabiting the woods, relates to the setting of this suburb. The existence of a Sylvan Street, off Princes Highway, seems to confirm this. Thomas Holt (1811-88) owned the land that stretched from Sutherland to Cronulla. Holt had built Sutherland House on the foreshore of Gwawley Bay in 1818, on the eastern side of Sylvania. He established the Sutherland Estate Company in 1881 and a village grew there, with a post office opening in 1883. The school opened in 1884 but closed in 1891 and was not reopened until 1925. Sylvania Heights Public School opened in 1955.

Sylvania Waters Estate was developed by L.J.Hooker in the 1960s: the land offered had water frontages with boating facilities. James Goyen won the tender to design the estate, to construct the houses and to promote the new suburb. Streets were named after Australian rivers to emphasise the association with water, such as Shoalhaven, Tweed, Murrumbidgee, Hawkesbury and Barwon.

Ready Flowers
Direct Flights

List of our Subsidiary Domain Names

Top 10

Thai Cooking

Recipes

 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Italian Cooking

Recipes

 

Enjoy >>>

Lebanese Cooking Recipes

 

Enjoy >>>

 

Sylvania Waters Child Care Centres

                                                                       

Web >>>

 

Sutherland Shire Business Directory

 

Web >>>

Sutherland Shire DirectoryDIRECTORY 4U